The Sunday Currently | Dubai Microdiary

by - Sunday, May 14, 2017


This is probably my best attempt at jump-starting regular blog updates again. Right now the hours are dead in my new office and I'm rediscovering my interest in Photoshop. Also because I need it for work, but that's another story.


I recently found myself with too much time on my hands, and yet I have no time at all. It feels so surreal when I sit there knowing everything's supposed to be secured and set but I still have that nagging feeling in the back of my head - a sort of mild anxiety over the seconds ticking by. Is this some form of FOMO or something? I may or may not find out.


reading the local newspaper. There are free weekly publications available around the city, distributed by kabayans, for kabayans, and then some. They proved to be quite essential to us during our first few weeks here as it provides must-read articles and crucial FYIs and PSAs - not to mention their classified ads played a big role in our job hunt. These days we pick them up out of habit mostly, but we still enjoy reading them for the articles.

listening to my boss mumble some instructions to somebody on the phone. I try not to listen in, anyway. Plus they speak Urdu 90% of the time. I'm keen on learning Urdu, but I've yet to find an app that carries the language.

watching nothing at the moment. I don't think I've touched Youtube or downloaded any series in the past few days and I'm not really sure why.

thinking about what to eat for breakfast tomorrow. Most days I skip breakfast but now that Jed and I have a concrete schedule to follow I'd like to (slowly) integrate a routine for us.

wishing for cooler weather. I mean, who isn't?

hoping there won't be much people out on my way home. I take the metro to work since it's so hot in the morning, and then walk on my way home. It's cost-effective, and I like to pretend that this is my attempt at exercising. During the late afternoon though you can bet there's a horde of people rushing to get home too so it's a little chaotic.

wearing my regular jeans - black shirt - boots combo. I have no need to dress up because my new company has no strict dress codes. And I'm lazy. Also my fashion sense will clash horribly with this country's norms. So yeah, sticking to jeans and shirts. It's quite a downer when I really, really want to wear shorts because of the heat and even THAT is out of the picture.

loving this new pimple cream I got. I started breaking out two weeks since I moved here and so far this cream is the only thing helping me keep them at bay. I hope it lasts until my skin gets accustomed to the weather!

wanting some xiao long baos and kimchi. My only gripe with this country at the moment is its lack of diversity as far as cuisines go, which is rich of me to say when there's a surplus of Iranian, Turkish, Indian, Egyptian, and even Greek and Filipino(!!) restaurants, but I've yet to see a Korean restaurant here. They do offer some Chinese food but the menu items are sadly limited. (Who wants to eat spring rolls over and over?) I've got a bad craving for my favorite dumpling and now I'm kind of convinced I'll have to resort to making it myself. 

needing some motivation to go to the gym. In this summer heat tho?? You'd have to be insane. The heat has formed a warm blanket over the city and I'm far from cozy. But I know I have to get it over with sooner or later. I need to get back in shape - badly.

feeling jittery, actually. It's cold where I'm sitting at the moment. Lol.


I'll try to make this a regular thing. It's always fun looking back and reacting to things I've written in the past. This'll be like a more organized time capsule.








• The Sunday Currently was originally created by Sidda Thornton 

You May Also Like

0 comments